top of page

For foreign senior managerial staff and specialized workers

L1 is a temporary working visa for intra-company transferees. This visa aims to transfer a foreign employee employed in a managerial or executive capacity (called L-1A) or in a position requiring specialized knowledge (called L-1B) from the foreign company to the U.S. branch, parent, affiliate, or subsidiary company.

Major requirements of L1 requirements include the following:


  • U.S. petitioner has a qualifying relationship with the foreign entity aboard (i.e., affiliate, parent, subsidiary, or branch)

  • The beneficiary was employed in a managerial or executive capacity or in a position that involved specialized knowledge by the foreign entity aboard for at least one year within three years preceding their application for admission or entry as a nonimmigrant.

  • The beneficiary will work in a managerial or executive capacity or a position involving specialized knowledge at the U.S. petitioner.

  • U.S. petitioner and foreign entity have been actively engaged in “doing business” for at least one year. Doing business means the company is regularly, systematically, and continuously providing goods and/or services.


Why hire us for L1


L1 is a very complex petition because of the different elements and factors that must be considered regarding the U.S. and foreign employers and positions, as well as the qualifying relationship and beneficiary qualifications. Further, as shown above, immigration law defines many terms, such as managerial and executive, using non-common and strict criteria that many businesses do not apply in their daily operations. Moreover, the L-1 petition must pay attention to every detail of the U.S. and foreign company’s operations, from legal compliance, financials, and business documents to organizational structure, staffing levels, and products and services. So many people come to the U.S. by using different types of visas and applying to change your status to L1. Therefore, time matters! Finding an experienced attorney and applying to change your status to L1 before I94 expiration dates matters! Otherwise, unlawful presence may start to account.  An experienced attorney with several years of experience working on L1 cases can strategize the legal arguments and document collection to avoid issues and respond to USCIS pushback effectively. You may change your status without leaving the U.S.


At the Law Office of Xiaomin Hu, we have attorneys and staff with years of experience in L1 petitions. We provide unique and outstanding immigration services to make a difference for our clients. Whether big or small, each case will be evaluated and handled by an immigration attorney who collaborates with the team to provide top-notch service. We will put ourselves in your shoes and deliver the best result for clients. We offer a compassionate and understanding approach as well as professional immigration knowledge.

bottom of page